Thursday 4 August 2011

Certificate of Eligibility

I wanted to talk in this post about my certificate of eligibility and the welcome pack that I received from Fukuoka University.I got a big envelope from my teacher Morimoto-sensei in the post today. In it was my certificate of eligibility - something from the japanese government that allows me to get a visa for a year as a student. It's pretty cool and official looking, with my photo and fancy colours and watermarks like a cheque. There is also a plain sheet with some extra information about me in Japanese.

I also got a little fold up map of the Fukuoka University campus, which is all in Japanese and I don't understand very well, and a super helpful letter that has a map and directions that I'm meant to give to a taxi driver so I don't have to attempt to speak to someone when I first arrive.

I got some forms to fill in that I had to send off today. A form to request a personalised inkan (a signature stamp) with my surname in katakana for signing forms and such, a request to rent bedding for 3 days when I first arrive and a contract form for my accommodation in International House.

There are quite a lot of costs on the first day when I arrive and the orientation day on September 8th.
  1. A bedding pat 3,850円  (£30)
  2. International House Development & Maintenance levy 30,000円 (£234)
  3. International House Insurance Contract Fee 2,000円 (£15.60)
  4. Bedding set rental 1,890円 (£14.74)
  5. Personal seal fee 2,000円 (£15.60)
All together 39,740 円 (£307.87) so it's pretty expensive!

However, my rent for the year in 30,000円 a month which is way way cheaper than what I spent on rent in Leeds this year. Converts to about £54 a week, and here I was spending £76 a week.

I get £7,348 from the student loans company all together.


I also have some money saved from my job last year andstuff my mum put in savings when I was a baby.

So, anyway. Now I have my certificate of eligibility I need to go to the Japanese embassy and get my visa. I plan to go on Tuesday next week (8th). Yay =] I will take pictures of my trip to London and the embassy and stuff to make this blog more pretty!

No comments:

Post a Comment